Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Awesome Power of Process

A few days back I met an entrepreneur and he shared, ‘Rakesh, I have the knowledge about what I want to achieve in my business. I also know what and how to do it...yet I don’t do it.’
Does this sound familiar?
I asked him why he did not do it.
He replied, ’I don’t know...maybe I procrastinate...’
After I returned, my mind started racing and asking the question, ‘Is the real reason really procrastination?’
I was not convinced. How long can an entrepreneur procrastinate keeping the growth of his company at stake?
Actually, he cannot afford to procrastinate! Then why doesn’t he do what he is supposed to do?
He knows what systems to put in the organization but he misses out on a very simple yet very powerful tool to implement the system.
An entrepreneur knows that to increase sales he needs to have right sales people. He also knows what he is looking in a sales person. Yet he doesn’t get the right sales person.
Reason?
He doesn’t have that one tool that will help him get that right sales person.
What is that important tool?
The tool that I am leading you to is:
PROCESS!
There is a difference between a system and a process. System is a tool that you put in your organization to smoothen the functioning of your business.
Process is a tool that will enable people to live or follow that system.
For example, you can put an attendance machine as a system to monitor the time your employees report for work and leave.
The process can be that every day when the employee reports for work he/she has to put his/her finger impression on the machine so that the machine can record that person’s in time. The employee follows the same process while leaving the office.
So, by following the step by step process, an entrepreneur is able to implement any system in his/her organization.
Why I personally love ‘process’ is because in designing any process nothing can be taken for granted. Each step has to be explained how so ever basic or commonsense it maybe.
Once you start getting involved in making the process it will become like a game of solving puzzle. The most interesting aspect of the whole exercise will be that you will start enjoying the process of designing your process.
----------------------------------------------------------------
In my one day workshop on ‘The Awesome Power of Process’ I share the fundamentals of making a process in anything and everything that you plan to do in your business or your personal life.
----------------------------------------------------------------

To Your Success
Rakesh Prasad

1 comment: