Monday, February 7, 2011

Are You Playing the Role of A Caretaker?


As an entrepreneur, we all have to deal with lots of people. They are our internal customers – employees; and external customers – people who give us business.

The question is: Do you take good care of everyone? Do you take pride in taking care of people around you?

In short, have you become a Caretaker?

If the answer is ‘Yes’, then you are in trouble.

I had this young guy as my assistant for more than five years. I treated him like family; I trained him and took good care of his personal needs. I became his caretaker and took pride in it. I shared my business and about my clients with him.

What did he do in return? He stole my concepts and approached my own clients with the same concepts claiming that it was his.
It was a shock for me. I reacted like a normal human being – I was angry!

But when I calmed down and started thinking about his behavior and my behavior towards him I realized that I cannot take care of everybody or even anybody for that matter. I might want the person to change for his betterment but the person might not want to change. I put in all my efforts and take out time to help a person but the person doesn’t want to be “helped”.  He feels happy with his life’s condition.

Today I no longer take initiative to help others. I have learned my lesson the hard way.

Instead what do I do?

I have changed my attitude and have become like a moving light house. Whoever comes in contact the only way I help them is by showing them the path that will lead them to their goals and then I step aside.

They have to become their own caretaker, I refuse to become theirs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment